Invercargill Brewery is posing a rhetorical question, “What can’t you do with Pitch Black Stout?” Which it will be answering today with a movable feast of Pitch Black varietals on handpump at the Dunedin Craft Beer & Food Festival at Forsyth Barr Stadium that will go something like this.
- Pitch Black – Stout – ABV 4.5% – IBU16 – The usual suspect. An internationally award winning stout which is rich and creamy, with notes of coffee and chocolate. Lightly hopped to hit a mid-point between sweet and dry, it’s our most loved beer.
- Pitch Black Pucker – Sour Stout – 4.5% – IBU 16 -Same delicious stout, with a bit of funk for a funky day … and possibly Steve Collin’s favourite beer style. Or maybe not.
- Pitch Black Moonshine – Stout – 5% – IBU 16 – So, we’d just emptied a barrel of 53%ABV all malt spirit when the inspiration hit. What would happen if we refilled it with Pitch Black and left it for a couple of months to mellow out? And now we know, we’ll definitely be doing that again.
- Pitch Black Coffee – Stout – 4.5% – IBU 16 -To celebrate International Coffee Day in September we let our barrista trained brewer Damon Milne loose on the brew floor with a bag of Allpress Coffee beans. This is the result.
Of course it’s not all black beers.
· Hop Goblet III – Pale Ale – ABV 5.6% – IBU 42.5 The ANZAC edition of a moving feast that has same Gladfield Malt profile with a hop component that hops around like, ah, hops. No 3 features Australian Summer & Helga Hops.
- B.man – NZ Pilsner -ABV 5% – IBU42 – from our house range, showcasing the distinctive stylings of Riwaka (Motueka) Hop. A uniquely NZ lager.
- IRA (Invercargill Red Ale) 5.5% – IBU 55+ – It started out with a blend of four Kiwi hops to deliver a mouthpuckering 55 IBU. Then we dry-hopped it. This one is definitely for Hop Heads. Caution advised.
· Old Particular – Old English Ale – 5% ABV – IBU 24–The Otago University Food Science Department played a key role in this collaboration brew. Science just got a whole lot more interesting.
- Nally’s Cider – 5% ABV – 100% Central Otago apple juice, fermented with champagne yeast to deliver, a crisp, refreshing sugar-free fruit wine – the perfect palate cleanser between beers.